The integrated Open Vector Editor is a user-friendly DNA and protein sequence editor, with which you can design, edit and share your DNA sequences, plasmids and primers. Link your designs to your inventory and notebook entries or keep a shared library of molecular designs with colleagues.
Features and functionality:
- Plasmid design - upload, edit, analyse and annotate all elements of your plasmids including primer binding sites.
- ORFs and protein translations - translate DNA sequences directly to amino acid sequences.
- Import and export sequences. Import *.gb, *.gbk *.fa files or export sequences as a Genebank, Fastq or Teselagen JSON file.
- Save DNA and AA sequence libraries - sequences can be used and referenced across all Labstep modules.
- Enzyme library - select enzymes from a standard library or add your own enzyme designs.
- Virtual digest - view enzyme cutsites and generate virtual digest details such as fragment length and overhang.
- Visual gel digest - visualise resulting size of DNA fragments in a virtual gel.
Use the widget (Files, File, Files (No Preview)) to display the map of a *.gb in circular or linear format. GenBank (*.gb) is a plaintext format for storing DNA data as character sequences. Read here for more details.
Open Vector Editor
- See the sequence of a feature
- Update the sequence of a feature
- Manage all properties
- Manage primers
- Manage protein translations
- Manage cut sites
- Manage ORFs
Open Vector Editor
How to use
To use this function, follow these steps:
- Add a section with widget Open Vector Editor
- Paste sequences or import sequence from a *.gb, *.ape, etc.
- Add or change features. Left panel shows the Circular or Linear Map, the right panels shows the Text Map. Text map shows DNA sequence, translation, and features as text-based graphics.
- Click Fullscreen to view the editor at full screen
- Click Standalone to view the editor in a standalone view. The Standalone view will only show this widget and provide all space to working on the widget.
Sequence can be create via importing *.gb, *.gbk, *.ape files.
To do that:
File -> Import sequence
Sequence can be exported from
File -> Export sequences
- Genebank File
- Fastq file
- Teselagen JSON file
Edit sequence features
Add a plasmid editor widget and you can starting load sequence and see the features at the real time. All the feature will be loaded automatically and the sequence can be changed on the right side of the panel.
Select a sequence and right click to change / delete / create a feature.
All features are summarized in the tab of Features. You have the option to change the color, name, type, strand.
To reach that:
- Click the Properties on the right side panel
- Click Features
- Select a feature
- Click New to create a new feature
- Click Edit to edit the current selected feature
- Click Delete to remove a feature
Manage cut sites
All cut sites will be listed under Cutsites. See the picture bellow.
The size of the DNA fragment can be viewed at the virtual digest.