The Labstep Inventory helps lab members track where things are located, amount in stock, and any useful information like DNA sequence, or chemical formula. Add your imported resources to your protocols and experiments to keep accurate records and your inventory up to date.
To start the import process, navigate to the Inventory module and click the Import button.
This will open the import modal. From here you have two options, either import via category or import via file.
Import via Resource Category
Resource metadata is a great place to store important information, such as, vendor or chemical structure. To save time, you can save a collection of metadata fields as a Resource Category. You can also use Resource Categories as a template to import new inventory items. The following steps will show you how:
- In the import modal, search and select for your Resource category that best represents the resources you wish to import.
2. Paste or enter your resource details. Each row will be imported as a new resource. The number in the first column, "Items in stock" dictates how many items will be created of this resource. The second column will be used as the name of the resource. The other columns will be added as metadata values. The metadata field title can be seen in the column header.
3. Once you are happy that the information you entered is correct, select import to add these resources and resource items will be added to your inventory. The import may take a moment to load. Check your notifications to see the import status or navigate to your import history page to see the import status.
Import via file (.csv, .xls, .xlsx)
Using Excel to track your inventory? Step into the future and import your inventory into Labstep to take advantage of our features, such as, location, amount and QR codes.
Please note to import your inventory via a file, your inventory must be saved as either a .csv, .xls or .xlsx. The first column should be the resource name. The subsequent columns should be your metadata fields. The metadata field labels should be in the first row. Each subsequent row will be imported as an individual resource.
- In the import modal, drag and drop your file or select "Import items of new type from file (.csv, .xls, .xlsx)" to pick a file from your device.
2. Once you have uploaded your file you we will show you a preview so that you can make sure there are no mistakes. You can also edit your resources here before you they are imported.
3. The first column in the preview allows you to say how many items/batches you have of this resource. We will create one item of this resource by default. For example, If I have 10 cylinders of the resource forming gas, I will say 10 into the "Items in stock" column. When the resource and resource items are created it will look like this:
4. We also ask you to create a resource category here. This will allow you to add these metadata fields to resources you create later. You can also use resource categories to import more resources of the same type.
5. Once you are happy that the information you entered is correct, select import to add these resources and resource items to your inventory. The import may take a moment to load. Check your notifications to see the import status or navigate to your import history page.