You can use Labstep to completely replace your paper notebook as the place where you record your experiments and data.
To create an experiment
- Select the '+new button' located in the top horizontal menu bar on the right
- Select 'Experiment'.
Editing details tab
In this tab you can edit the start date and time of your experiment. Add a format-able short text description of your experiment and digitally sign the experiment for compliance.
- To edit the start date and time click on the date and choose your date and time from the dropdown calendar.
- To add a description click on 'Add description' and then type into the text box that appears.
- To sign the experiment simply click 'Sign experiment'. This will add stamp with your profile picture, name and the time the signature was completed. If you have shared the experiment with another Labstep user they can sign-off your experiment - This is particularly useful when a student needs an experiment to be approved by a supervisor.
Please note, that to maintain the integrity of Labstep and ensure compliance signatures on Labstep are irreversible.
Editing the workflow tab
The workflow tab allows you to add the protocols you intend to complete in your experiment to your experiment on Labstep. You can add, remove and rearrange as many protocols as you like. Provided you have added interactive steps to your protocol you can follow each one in our experiment step-step view.
Link to experiment step-by-step view help article: https://help.labstep.com/en/articles/3198703-step-by-step-experiment-view
Link to protocol editor help article:
To add protocols to the workflow:
- Select the 'Workflow ( )' tab.
- Select the grey plus icon level with 'Add protocol(s)'.
- Choose your protocol from the dropdown.
- To access the step-by-step experiment view for your protocol. Click on the protocol title.
- To remove a protocol from the workflow click the cross icon level with the protocol title.
- To reorder protocols in your workflow, click either the down or up arrows next to the cross. Please note, you cannot edit protocols from within the experiment workflow. If you wish to update a protocol in the experiment workflow you must first remove the protocol from the workflow then navigate to 'protocols' (under 'My Labstep' or a project) and then search for your protocol and edit it there!
Editing the Results/notes tab
- Select the 'Results/notes' tab.
2. Select the blue/white 'plus' icon and choose from 'Molecule', 'Resource', 'Long text', 'File', 'Image', 'File from watched folder', 'table' and 'DNA sequence' from the dropdown list - To find out what each of these options can do. Click the link to the help article: https://help.labstep.com/en/articles/3185433-what-does-the-comment-feature-allow-me-to-do
Alternatively, if you just want to add a short comment, type into the text bar and hit the blue 'paper plane' icon.
Please note that whenever you see the icon (shown below) you can download the item you added to your desktop or mobile device.
Also, whenever you see this icon (shown below) you can preview the item.
The activity tab
Shows all the changes you have made to the experiment. All changes are recorded automatically. To view the tab.
- Select the 'Activity' tab
- Scroll down to the bottom and click 'see more' if all changes do not fit on a single page.
Please note that changes to the same experiment by different users will be recorded in the activity section.
Can't find what you are looking for?
When you are logged on click the question mark icon and connect to one of our customer support officers and they will be able to help you.
Alternatively, click the button below to see Labstep's public product road map. The feature you need could already be coming very soon!